Monday, July 02, 2007

The Rentals cover The Rentals

There is this snow-cone place on my route back from work, I stop by on especially hot days to indulge myself in its cooling magic. Last time I felt I need something a little bit more in my snow-cone so I upped the ante, threw 50 more cents down and got extra juice. Too much blueberry sweetness. It made for one of the worst snow-cones ever but I still took down the majority of it....see it was hot, I think I mentioned that. In the long run I learn the lesson that it was too much to handle and I had to pace myself on the juice.

Thats how my music to do lists is going. June has so many new albums that are so good that while I'm trying to give them all a fair share its just over load. New Interpol, Super Furry Animals, They might be giants, Bumps, John Vanderslice, Okkervil River, Bishop Allen, Rentals, couple others all pretty much fell in my lap around the same general time.

The most recent would have to be the new Rentals EP titled The Last Little Life . I was a huge Rentals fan by way of Weezer. The Rentals were the band that introduced me to heavy snyths mixed with power pop, a formula which if done right, will never bore me. This EP is the first Rentals release since 1999's, 7 More Minutes, which was embarrassingly under-appreciated by the majority of the public and was assumed to be the end of The Rentals. You can expect a new full album in 2008 from Matt and co. but lucky The Rentals leave us this EP to savor on while they cook up something new in the studio.



The last track on the EP is a reworking of the Rentals classic Sweetness and Tenderness originally from their debut album Return of the Rentals. Judging by this track and the others from the EP the Rentals have a looser sound to them in their recent incarnation, they still keep the male/female vocals going with some strings floating in and out but nothing strongly similar to either of the previous albums.

The Rentals - Sweetness & Tenderness
[zshare]


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, July 15, 2007, Blogger Flushy McBucketpants said...

hell yeah. i prefer matt's vocals on the original, but this is very, very promising for the future of the rentals.

i have found my new favorite band.

gotta love the sara radle--rachel haden duo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home