Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton

My internet has been running slow this week. Atleast I have a connection now, I was with nothing till yesterday. Such is the great excitments/struggles of my life. Did I miss anything on the net? I got back on just in time to grab a listen of the new Rapture album, its pretty good as I expected.

I liked the newest Metric album Live It Out, well I thought it was okay. I loved the debut album, there were so many quality tracks on there, many that wouldn't get out of my head for weeks. I had the feeling that I would like Emily Haines' recent and second attempt at a solo release, an album titled Knives Don't Have Your Back. Its piano heavy and a lot more darker, I think more change ups and variety would of done this album better. With the piano'd songs it has the stench of solo album. I think the thing that always pulls me into Emily Haines releases is her voice, it just flows so smoothly and without effort. More about the album from her:

“When I was a little kid…I would creep downstairs to the piano and write rudimentary songs about imaginary places. I’m told the first song I ever wrote was a love song to a cranberry tree. I always used the mute pedal. I hated the idea of anybody hearing me. Everywhere I’ve lived while working with Metric, I’ve written songs on the piano and played them for no one. On the advice of a friend, I decided I’d better start recording them before they were forgotten. Four meandering years later I ended up with this collection of songs featuring a few of my favorite people, a group I call The Soft Skeleton.”


Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Our Hell

Out late September on Last Gang Records

I'm off to some late night basketball, Texas weather finally let up after 19 days in a row of 100+ degree weather. Wish me luck.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home