Saturday, February 11, 2006

Jay Dee (J Dilla) dead at 32

One of my favorite hip hop producers died yesterday, Friday Feburary the 10th. James Yancey aka J Dilla aka Jay Dees new album Donuts, a collection of hip-hop, soul and electronic music instrumentals was released last Tuesday on Stones Throw Records.

J Dilla is best known for his role in A Tribe Called Quest's production team and also producing hits for Busta Rhymes, Common, De La Soul and Pharcyde.

According to Stones Throw Records, "When Pharrell Williams was asked about his favorite hip-hop producer during a BET interview in 2004 he replied, “You may not know his name, but J Dilla, Jay Dee from Detroit.” Indeed, the interviewer didn't know – J Dilla has eluded the spotlight, preferring the studio to the stage or video."

According to AllHipHop.com, In a 2004 interview with Urb Magazine, J-Dilla disclosed that he had kidney problems as a result of malnutrition.

"What happened was that the doctor told me that I'd ruptured my kidney from being too busy and being stressed out and not eating right," J-Dilla told Urb. "He told me that if I'd waited another day, I might not have made it.

"Sometimes that fixation can be a good thing and sometimes it can be bad. There'd be days when I wouldn't eat at all because I'd be in the basement working all day," said Jay Dee. "This is definitely my second chance, my wakeup call. I still love the music, but I wouldn't put it first in my life. It's family first - and then everything else."


His neweset album Donuts was partially recorded in the hospital using a portable studio, the man loved making music. There are very few hip hop producers that stand out to me and he was one of them because he was one of the best.

J Dilla - Airworks
From J Dillas new album Donuts

Download a 46 track, 3 volume J Dilla Compilation posted on Mental Combat (props to Ryan for the heads up)

RIP

J DILLA

1974 - 2006

3 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, February 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lots of J Dilla remixes over at Mental Combat

damn that lupus

 
At 12:22 AM, February 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If and when our kids are digging records out of our attics or basements, Jay Dee's will be among those about which we say "ummm... you better leave those where they are. I still play them sometimes."

Peace on the Journey, Dilla.

 
At 4:24 PM, February 12, 2006, Blogger b said...

thanks for the link, I shall post it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home