Thursday, May 12, 2005

Roll With The Wind

So here's an email I got yesterday;


Why do you post so many songs in a single post?

Do you think that maybe it might anger the people who own the music you're posting? Seems like it might be advisable to keep the total number of songs posted down a bit..

Just a suggestion!

=darwin





I appreciate suggestions and I love getting feedback but here is how I see it. The main opponents of online file sharing are record labels not the artist. The artist know that the sharing spreads their music and gets more fans and more fans means more people are going to see you play live. When an album gets sold the band get a very small percentage of the profit, all the money is in the live shows and the merchandise sold at the shows or at the bands website. The fact of the matter is that after music sharing got off to a big start record sales jumped dramatically. Lately blogs have been having a big impact on bands that don't get all the money for promotion as other bands do. Although I should encourage people to purchase albums more and I buy albums that I like a lot after I preview them or if its a band that I know won't let me down. Tomorrow I will hopefully be going to see two bands play tomorrow. Without mp3s and online file sharing I would have no idea who Pinback or Pit Er Pat are. I see online file sharing as a wake up call to artists who make albums with one or two singles and the rest with filler. The people who are most upset over file sharing are the people who run the major record labels because they stand to lose the most. The artist stand to gain. This is just leveling the playing field and promoting new artist to the public.









Oasis - Dont believe the truth New album by these chaps.

Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You This track comes from a great album by the Dandy Warhols, 13 tales of Urban Bohemia.

Pinback - Tripoli Great tune by Pinback, this got me listening to them

Pinback - Manchuria They are currently on tour with a stop in my neck of the woods [Denton] tomorrow.

Eels - Lone Wolf
I saw him on TV few night ago, this is from his album before the new one. This might be the best track from that album.

Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world Can't deny the good stuff

Frankpayne.com has some good tunes like;

Deathray Davies - The Girl Who Stole... My favorite local band, this song is so Cure

Mice Parade - Focus On A Rollercoaster Good stuff from this duo

Ratatat - 17 Years Great electronic track, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like this song after listening to it.


1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, May 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that you're being a little naive. While you're right about the proliferation of independent musicians' music being a good thing, it's only to a certain point. Selling records is how a band can pay back their label and keep making records. In addition, if you're letting people hear a track from someone's record, it's great. But if you're posting many songs off of one record, then you certainly could be hurting the band.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home