Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cursive / Happy Hollow

I've had a weekend to listen to the new Cursive album Happy Hollow (Aug 22). Although it doesn't top their last album The Ugly Organ, my favorite by them, it does have its moments. The album is horn heavy laced and is a concept album as the majority of Cursive albums are. Initially I was looking for something else, I had my hopes in another direction before I heard the album. Part of me thought that this was going to be overwhelmed by horns after they mentioned the addition of horns but part of me also thought that they were going to top themselves. Still a quality release. They have a new single coming out Dorothy at 40 which comes with 2 non-album tracks. Happy Hollow's first single "Dorothy at Forty" is another typically atypical Cursive romp, catapulted by incisive guitars, punctuated by horns and jerking to a stop before mightily spiraling away into the song's rousing coda. (SC)

Cursive - Dorothy At Forty

Tomorrow, new Album Leaf LP.

2 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Leonardo Adrian Garcia said...

How indicative is "Dorothy at Forty" of the horn presence on the entire album?

Less or more prevalent?

- leo

 
At 9:14 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger b said...

The tracks vary, about half have more horns and some tracks I barely notice. They don't over do it with the horns though, they add when needed. Listen to another track here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home