Monday, June 12, 2006

The Paper Chase / Now You Are One of Us

There is something in the way that John Congleton sings that just doesn't sit straight with me. Maybe its the drama behind his voice. That really doesn't matter though because his talent for songwriting and melody makes up for it. The Paper Chase are always oozing with drama just take a glance at the song titles from their new album Now Your Are One of Us (We Know Where You Sleep, It's Out There And It's Gonna Get You) and look at the album cover with a picture of a naked guy hanging himself.



I'm not really familiar with previous Paper Chase albums, I've done some minor browsing of few of their releases and this seems to be the Paper Chase at their most accessible. Its a step in the right direction, they seem to be not as popular as I would of thought they'd be. Aside from the vocals, the piano and strings contributed to my favorite portions of the album (You Will Never Take Me Alive). They also make good use of creepy sounding samples (wailing woman on Wait Until I Get My Hands On You). Generally I think this is a really exciting release from this local Dallas band, maybe their best album to date. Although its kind of weird to listen to at night, you start to think that you are hearing things. I had to turn down the volume couple of times to regain my sanity.

From Now You Are One of Us

The Paper Chase - We know where you sleep
The Paper Chase - You Will Never Take Me Alive

From God Bless Your Black Heart

The Paper Chase - Said the Spider to the Fly

Also get few other tracks from this album at Obscure Sound




3 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, June 13, 2006, Blogger b said...

Will do, I think it releases in July.

 
At 10:23 AM, June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The release date was 6/6/06 - it's one of my favorite releases this year. I'm on my 10th listen.

 
At 8:15 PM, February 14, 2007, Blogger gretchen said...

They definitely have a distinct sound, but I think the lyrics and music make for a really unique album. TPC is on the Explosions in the Sky tour now and I'm stoked they'll be in Chicago on March 28. Have a peek at some new clips on their website www.thepaperchase.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home